Blueberry Lemon Thyme Muffins
Recipe by Brandy O'Neill for Anolon US
These blueberry lemon thyme muffins are the perfect spring breakfast or brunch treat. They are ready in less than an hour and packed full of fresh lemon flavour, juicy blueberries and fresh thyme. It’s a perfect combination of flavours sure to impress anyone.
Serves: 12 muffins
For the streusel topping:
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup quick cooking oats
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Pinch of salt
For the muffins:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 pint fresh blueberries
- 3 tablespoons icing sugar
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Streusel topping: In a small bowl add all ingredients and stir well to combine. Set aside.
- For the muffins: Preheat oven to 180 degrees and line a muffin pan with paper liners, set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl add flour, baking powder, fresh thyme leaves and salt. Whisk to combine and set aside.
- In a small bowl (or use your liquid measuring cup) add buttermilk, lemon zest, vanilla bean paste and lemon extract. Stir to combine and set aside.
- While the mixer is on low speed slowly add in the flour just until combined.
- Gently stir in the fresh blueberries trying not to break them as you stir.
- Fill your muffin pans about 3/4 of the way full and smooth the top as best as possible.
- Top each muffin with a handful of streusel topping. If the topping sets up a bit (the butter might firm up a bit) just break it up with your hands. You want to use all the topping so don’t be scared to really top those muffins.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until the muffin is fully cooked. You can test your muffin by inserting a toothpick into the centre and when removed it should be clean.
- Let your muffins cool and top with drizzle.
- For the glaze: Whisk together until smooth. If it’s too thick add a little more lemon juice. If it’s too thin add a little more icing sugar.