Recipe from Circulon UK
This authentic Moroccan recipe with warm spices will melt in your mouth!
Serves: 4 Prep Time: 20 Minutes Cooking Time: 2hrs 45mins
- 1tbs light olive oil
- 800g diced lamb
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2tsp ground cumin
- 1tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 2tsp paprika
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 x 400g carton chopped tomatoes
- 1 quality lamb or vegetable stock cube, made up with 200ml boiling water
- black pepper
- 1 x 400g carton/can chickpeas in water, rinsed
- 2 tbs honey
- handful fresh coriander, chopped
- flaked or roughly chopped almonds
- 6-8 dates, quartered
- Preheat the oven to 140ºC fan/160ºC conventional/Gas 3
- Heat the oil in your Circulon non-stick Casserole and seal the lamb over high heat for 2-3 minutes. Lift out onto a plate with a slotted spoon and set aside, turn down the heat to medium and add the onion and carrots to the pan and fry for 3 minutes. Add the garlic and all the ground spices and cook for a further 1-2 minutes taking care not to burn the spices.
- Add the meat back to the pan along with the cinnamon stick, tomatoes, dates and stock. Season with black pepper then place on the lid and cook in the oven for 2 hours, stirring occasionally
- Add the chickpeas and honey and check the seasoning then return to the oven for a further 30-45 minutes until the lamb is very tender.
- Remove the lid for the last 15 minutes if the sauce needs reducing and thickening slightly
- Garnish with chopped coriander and scatter with the almonds. Serve with flatbreads or jewelled cous cous.